Monday, January 9, 2012

A nice slap in the face by reality.

This weekend our church youth went to a convention that Mike and I were asked to help chaperone.
The weekend was powerful for them, and I am hoping they took something away from such a powerful message. As a "leader" my job was to make sure no one got hurt-meaning no one was missing any body parts, and that they were safe. But as a "leader" you really do sacrifice so much......


  • I will never get back the 15+ hours I missed out on in sleep. 
  • The pain in my calf muscles will not go away for a LONG time. 
  • I will never understand the mind of a teenager. 
  • I will not be out of this stupid boot for at least another week, (stupid move, Marie to walk EVERYWHERE)!!
What I got out of it was so much more, though. I learned that teenagers today battle SOOO many more challenges than I ever dreamed of in high school. I learned that the kids who seem to "have it all" are breaking inside. I learned that no matter how good of an idea it seems, haunted houses are NEVER a good idea. I learned that Jamie Grace IS as cool as she sounds. I learned Matt McCoy's eye color is just not fair, (seriously, GOOGLE Matt McCoy Band)  I learned that comedy CAN be funny without all the cussing. I learned there is nothing more attractive to me than seeing your husband with his hands folded together, head bowed and praying. Then the most important lesson of all I learned was this...."God wants to see that you appreciate the little things, before he will let you have the BIG things".... 
   A lesson that was intended for high school students, I just heard the phrase that shook me to my core. So that is what I am striving to do. Be more appreciative of all of the small things I have. I started this weekend with telling SOMEONE something that I am thankful for that day. Today, I am thankful for A LOT. I am thankful that I got the opportunity to be with those "kids" this weekend. I am thankful that I had someone who took a chance on us, and chaperoned our trip. I value her so much more now. I am thankful for seeing Christ through my husband. I am thankful that those girls want to know more about Christ and they think I "have it all". I am thankful I am not a teenager anymore. I am thankful that I still can learn a lesson in the most peculiar ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment